WHAT IS REMOTE WORK?
The term remote work could be simplified to one of the most common phrase we use today, i.e., ‘work from home’. With the outbreak of COVID 19 from past two years, this phrase is in the tongue of every 3 out of 5 employee, and has become the new normal.
In fact, the concept of remote work alone has emerged drastically as a vogue per se. Developing a new work-home lifestyle, intertwining personal life chores, duties or even vacations with responsibilities and tasks of job, and maintaining the work-life balance has been proven a luxurious success!
So remote work is the job you choose to do, staying in the location you desire, without having to be physically present in your office building.
- This might create an automatic perception that, remote work is exclusive to the IT industry. But you couldn’t be more wrong!
- Though technology plays a crucial role in performing tasks and completing your goals, the scope of remote work stretches beyond computer softwares alone.
- Research have shown that an occupation is not the correct yardstick to measure the potential of remote work, but the tasks, duties, activities and responsibilities are. This means that, irrespective of the stream of occupation you belong, remote work is possible.
So, if you are a software engineer, a customer success manager, a data scientist, a counselor, a vendor, a manager, a psychiatrist, a human resource or even a lawyer or a researcher, working remotely is possible.
Though, some limitations and exceptions may exist, subjective to the nature of occupation.
Come what may, it has enabled many employees to embrace and relish the fortune of staying with their families, without having to take the daily hassle of leaving their homes, travelling to long distances, bearing food expenses, or reaching home late.
This saves a significant amount of their time and energy, which they rather invest in their work, and beget comparatively more fruitful results.
WHAT IS REMOTE STAFFING?
Remote staffing is, when a company hire its employees from remote locations. In remote staffing, the hired professionals have the advantage to work from anywhere they want to, required their location has good access to the internet connection and mobile network.
WHY IS REMOTE STAFFING NECESSARY?
- With the strike of the pandemic, unemployment has managed to find some comfort in the fluctuating economy. By this logic, you must be thinking it is easy to hire candidates, since they are available in bulk.
- But, finding the right candidate is rather challenging, who could commute to your office, conforms to your work culture, acknowledges the salary structure, and stays nearby. Then if you hire a wrong candidate by mistake, you suffer the loss.
- The luxury of remote staffing eliminates all these hurdles. With remote staffing, you have significant amount of available candidates, and you choose any of them who qualify your requirements in less time, kick off the work as soon as possible, and get the desired results.
In today’s gig economy, to search and hire the best candidates of expertise commensurate for the company’s role is pivotal. But sometimes, the most talented candidates are nowhere near to the company building.
Remote Staffing makes it possible for such companies, to hire the candidates of their pick, irrespective of their whereabouts, outside the organization’s traditional office environment.
BENEFITS OF REMOTE WORK:
- Increased productivity – Research show that 60 to 80 percent employees who work remotely admit their experience of increased productivity in their work life away from the traditional office culture.
- Indubitably, an office consists of many disturbances which hinder the consistency and flow of work. Sometimes, the tasks to be done are too complicated to be carried out without silence.
But working from home negates such setbacks and offers profound comfort in peaceful privacy.
- To increase productivity more, remote employer could allow flexibility on schedules to the employees. This means that the employee could prefer to work at night, noon, or in the morning as per his circadian clock or preferences.
This also allows the employees to steal breaks in between the work hours, of their own accord, to refresh and charge up instead of pushing himself to work with a tired mind and body till the office hour closes.
- Employee satisfaction:
What makes an employee stay at a job for a long time? It is satisfaction. People love a job of satisfaction and there cannot be more crucial of a reason to adhere to a job. What really makes them feel satisfied? Here are the few perks:
- Go anywhere during work hours – It wouldn’t make a difference if you step out of your house to run an errand or attend an important event, until and unless you are taking care of your work.
- No obligation– Working remotely gives you the freedom to balance your work and personal life. In a typical office, the employees are expected to stay till the last hour even if they have no work to do. But with remote work, this gap can be easily filled and employees are not obligated to stay in a particular place for no reason.
- Saves money and time – From surfacing early in the morning, to getting ready and bearing the traffic to reach the office is a big hassle. The energy drains even before reaching the work place. Remote working has this golden luxury of starting your work as soon as you wake up.
Remote employees take pride on the fact that they work remotely. That is because it shows that their company relies on their expertise and trust them over their responsibilities irrespective of their remote locations. Remote staffing is validating in such a manner.
BENEFITS OF REMOTE STAFFING:
- Saves the cost of hiring – To hire an employee means to bear the expenses of advertising, arranging multiple rounds of interviews, undertaking skill and background checks and other pre-employment evaluation tests, etc. it is not an easy and cheap process in the least.
To acquire a full-time employee, is to risk huge investments. However, if an employee is hired through remote staffing, the organization saves itself from incurring all such additional expenses. Hiring costs entrepreneurial firms a lot compared to larger firms. So remote staffing is the best solution to eliminate the expenses.
- Saving in office space- Space management in today’s date is one of the pivotal aspects that affects an organization’s revenue to a remarkable degree. The wise entrepreneurs today choose to splurge their money on the right choices.
A physical office entail limitations like expansion of area, maintenance of office infrastructure, maintenance of the place, setting up franchises, etc.
To set up a state-of-the-art office by a start-up can prove to be an expensive choice. To refrain from the real estate expenses, remote staffing would not just save you a lot of money, it will also ease your work and meet your requirements as well.
- You save on any Bad Hire Loss:
Hiring a wrong applicant could bear the organization immense loss as every employee has a significant bearing over a company’s success. A cost of a bad hire can surge up to four or five times his/her annual salary in total.
This means that the money spent in hiring an employee is comparatively less than cost of hiring the wrong employee in the company. Now to fire the bad hire can lead you to face legal proceedings and huge loses of time and money.
With remote staffing, if you feel dissatisfied with an employee’s work, you can cancel your contract easily.
- Helps the environment become greener– this age is the age of ardent environmental awareness, and businesses are no exceptions to be expected to go environment friendly in some or the other ways.
With remote staffing, working remotely eliminates the use of vehicals which contributes to reduced air pollution, noise pollution, and traffic. Sustainability of petroleum is another perk.
5 . Pool of talent– it offers a pool of talent- when it comes to remote staffing, business owners have wide access to the choice of staff.
Since hires can belong to anywhere in the world and don’t have to be local, the owners have a better opportunity to search staff with specially demanded skills. Because of this, the cost of training is saved.
Another remarkable perk remote staffing offers is saving thousands of dollars in terms of relocation costs. As there are no relocation costs required for the company to bear, money is saved.
- Reduction in absenteeism– One of the biggest comfort of working from home through remote staffing is, that employees still manage to work from home despite slight challenges in health, perhaps even more.
There doesn’t arises a need to take leave unless, his/her situation is unbearable. Employees working remotely hold special respect for their employers based on their trust on them and hence, headstrongly carry out their duties.
- Office politics– Office politics is common in almost all organizations, whether big or small businesses. Difficult situations will always exist and every employee goes through ordeals at least once in their life, filled with disagreements, frustrations, jealousy, manipulations, etc.
Indeed, the human resources are responsible for validating and solving such problems, but it is better if the core of the problem per se is eliminated through remote staffing.
Though politics is seen in remote work as well, but it is much more bearable and insignificant, as compared to physical office politics. Working remotely keeps employees less concerned about trivial gossips.
- Lower salaries- Remote staffing allows financial benefits for both employers and employees for working from home. Remote workers do not mind a slight cut in wages, as they are not spending money over commuting costs, lunches or refreshments.
- Better mental health for employees– Research have shown that around approximately 80% of remote employees have lower stress levels than in-house employees. Because of the overall extra physical hassle and office tensions can lead to stress, which is a big reason for mental health issues like anxiety or depression. Eliminating this problem is a very vital source of productivity and maintaining good health.
Stress can lead to loss of concentration, loss of comprehension and miscommunication. So stress in one employee can affect the workflow of the entire office.
Hence this aspect is crucial to be cut off. Offices often organize games and fun activities to cure stress, but remote staffing proves to be the best medicine.
11. More gratefulness of employees– Since there are so many perks for remote employers of working remotely, their happiness increases which leads to concomitant increase in their gratefulness.
For example, a balanced day of work spent well with family and completing the work. With in-house work, to witness such gratefulness is not common. Because of feeling credible and being grateful, remote workers tend to favour their employers.
Be it attending an extra meeting, doing some extra work, being receptive in responding to them soon, and vice versa. They gladly work extra if they are satisfied with their job.
12. Get work done around the clock– One of the huge benefits of hiring remote teams is that work can be done around the clock – and not just during office hours at the location where your team is based.
This is great for businesses with a large customer service base that needs to be online all the time. Having correspondents in major time zones means that someone will always be around to answer any queries and solve any problems.
13. Native employees of other languages– Hiring natives who also know other languages is another perk which wider talent pool offers. For businesses which require customer service or translation, this factor is excellent for all corner of the world.
Native speakers, who know another particular or more languages, meet the customer needs easily and quickly. This increases customer satisfaction and loyalty.
14. Socialize and meet people around the world- remote working is often considered anti-social, but it actually acts as a catalyst to connect an employee to people in different parts of the world. You learn different cultures from each other and share different perspectives in an international team.
To learn even different languages, and build good camaraderie with co-workers is exquisitely possible with remote working.
15. Office parties are not necessities– Office parties are often a time to share happiness, fun and unwind yourself with the staff. But for many employees, this can be a financial burden.
But with remote working, the employees are not obligated to indulge in the celebrations, as they are spread out remotely.
16. Rich Morale- Since remote workers have much greater work satisfaction than in-house employees, employee morale has the dominance, which is the inheritance of remote work. Heightened morale makes things easy and relieving for employers, which fulfils their expectations from the team to work as per requirements. Nobody desires to work with an unmotivated team!
Positivity in the team is desired by all employers because it adds a fuel to the growth and productivity, leading to good results and profits.
17. Health benefits for employees
Though mental health is one of the greatest perks of remote work, physical health is no less protected in remote working, than mental. To work remotely offers great physical benefits to employees, especially women. They often tend to take leaves because of their manifest fluctuations in health.
Remote working allows not only women, but also men to work without taking leaves. If you work remotely, you can see the doctor easily, eat healthier, treat illness better which would give you more strength to work efficiently and take less leaves.
Sense of connection with technology
In these modern technological times, remote workers take communication at home for granted. Now, an IT professional person is no longer required to visit the house and install costly equipment to let the good communication persist in the office team. Now, a gadget or two, with a strong Wi-Fi connection is all you need, in order to create an alternative standard office.
Research show that 80% of employees feel more unified and connected with their office team, specifically when their exists unified communications in the remote work practices. Today, as easy it is to pick up a phone, technology has provided us the ability to easily communicate via different devices, operating systems.
CONCLUSION – why not give it a shot?
Research says that remote workers work more as compare to in-house office workers. On average, remote employees added 1 day or 16 more days of their work in a month and a year. The amount of time spent by remote workers to get the things done is more.
Remote staffing/working is a fad that is being adopted by many companies and a lot more will switch to it in the coming years. If you feel that the way remote staffing works is going to benefit you and your company, then why not hire some remote workers for your business and see where it takes you? This may turn to be a smart decision after all!